« Home | Bread of Heaven » | Guest Appearance I » | Bringing Tears » | Hosea » | $95.22 » | Zakee » | Fetish » | He didn't ask the right question » | Letter of Interludes » | Y chromosome » 

Friday, August 19, 2005 

Angel in a Box

"Thank you for being the flint that created the spark that ignited the fire..."

Exactly six years ago I embarked on a journey of faith. My God asked me to teach His children and I left my so-so corporate job paying oh-so much money and began teaching. I walked away with less than a two-week notice and went to do a job that would cost me over a $10k pay cut.

I never trained to be a teacher. My undergrad degree is in Communications. Never took an education class. Knew nothing about children - don't even have any myself. Knew nothing about child development, curriculum, standards, or any of that other theory stuff they study in education programs. All I knew was my God told me to go. So I did; I took on the task of teaching His 8th grade children.

Every day I prayed and asked Him to use me to touch His young people. I asked Him to bless me to be more than just their english teacher. I asked Him to allow me to touch just one a year. And every year He gave me 20 or 30 young people. Young people who call me friend, mentor, coach, "Mom."

A year ago He moved me into a new position that took me out of the classroom 75% of the time; working more with teachers as a coach. I fretted and worried that I would no longer have the opportunity to reach out to 90 student, 5 days a week - but only be able to work closely with 35. He spoke to me through colleagues, friends and family saying it was what He wanted me to do and I accepted the new position. I did the best I could, leaning on Him to guide, prepare and keep me.

At the end of the year I was offered another position, completely administrative - no regular student contact - that would have been a $13k+ raise. It was tempting but I heard His voice say "You are where I want you to be." So I politely declined.

Now the new school year has started; our first week back. It is absolutely crazy! I am working with most of the same teachers as I did last year, but I have taken on more responsibility - another title and a principal internship. I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Ready to quit.

But yesterday a teacher, someone who has been teaching over 50 years, called me into her room. She asked me to follow up on something for her, then she went to her desk and pulled out a gift bag. She walked over to me and said, "This is for you. Thank you for being the flint that created the spark that lit the flame. Because of you we have been able to go where we couldn't go before." When I opened the gift, there was a handcarved angel in a box.

So six years later He has moved me into a new position and granted me success. I now have a oh-so-wonderful job and make not-so-bad money. And I remember to lean on Him always because I have an angel in a box. Oh, and I continue to ask Him to give me one - just one - young person a year.

Tonee,


You are such a remarkable woman. I am so glad that you made the move that God required of you. May he continue to bless you as you bless others.

-Chrome*

Post a Comment
Yahoo! Avatars

About me

  • I'm toneec42
  • From Denver, Colorado, United States
My profile

Links

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from toneec42. Make your own badge here.
  • Blogger Templates
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates