« Home | Inspirational Moment » | Catching My Breath - Part III » | Catching My Breath - Part II » | Commercial Break » | Catching My Breath - Part I » | About a man from a man » | Risk Taking » | How can I forget? » | Heartbreak and Blessing » | 2 seconds off yo ass! » 

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 

Another Wedding

You can find me
In St. Louie
Where the gun play
Rain all day
Some got jobs
And some sell yay
Others just smoke and fuck
All day
- Nelly

Yep, that's right... I just got back from another wedding. This one was in St. Louis and it was my Dad's. I took my daughter home to meet the family for the first time and to stand up with my Dad.

I'm glad I went because we were the only ones there from his side of the family. His sister didn't show. His neice had to work and her husband didn't show (although he was supposed to). My brother couldn't come because he had a football game. (He plays semi-pro and gets paid. So no show, no pay check AND a hefty fine from the league.)

We arrived the day after a bad storm rolled through and knocked out an estimated 60-90% of the city's power. Almost everyone was without electricity in the 100+ heat index; even my grandmother's nursing home. (The bride's dad hooked up a generator at the church to run the sound system and a couple of fans. Light was provided by God through the windows.) Blessedly we had booked and paid for a hotel room and the hotel had power. When we checked in the receptionist told us there were no rooms within a 150 miles. And get this, the day after we arrived another storm passed through! Those people who had power, or whose power had been restored, lost it in that storm. Plus it stopped crews from working.

Because of the power outtage we did not get to see/meet all of my relatives on both sides. Everyone was scattered trying to find shelter. When we left five days later everyone on my mom's side had power back except my grandmother's nursing home. Imagine that!

But all in all we had a good time. I took my daughter to see most of the tourist attractions and she got to meet a good part of the family. She's even planning to return for Thanksgiving (I'm not going because it's only a weekend off for me). Everyone loved her and she loves them. On the drive back (yes.. .12 hours of driving) she commented how her biological father would always tell her if she left his house, she'd be alone. But now she realizes she has mucha familia. (My dad married into a big family and they all invited us back as well as say they plan to visit Denver.)

P.S. I tried to upload photos but Blogger didn't want to cooperate. I'll try again later.

Glad you had a good trip despite the weather.

It sounds as if you enjoyed yourself. I love weddings!!

Post a Comment
Yahoo! Avatars

About me

  • I'm toneec42
  • From Denver, Colorado, United States
My profile

Links

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from toneec42. Make your own badge here.
  • Blogger Templates
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates